Monday, August 18, 2008

Obama vs. Bryant

So I have been loving the Olympics this year; I have thoroughly enjoyed watching all of the Phelps races, gymnastics, track (just getting under way), volleyball, and so many other events. One thing I was thinking about today, though, was an interview I saw of Kobe Bryant on what it is like for him to wear the USA jersey. The commentator asked him if it is no longer "cool" to be patriotic and proud about one's country, especially USA at this time and Byrant essentially said "it's cool to me". I find that very ironic when you compare his attitude to the attitude of the Democratic nominee for president, Barack Obama and his wife. They are repeatedly saying things that suggest America is a bad country, a down right mean country, and they are finally proud of their country because Obama may become president. All Olympic athletes place their hand on their heart during the national anthem and yet the "messiah", "God's gift to America (according to Nancy Pelosi), Barack Obama does not. Am I the only one who finds it ridiculous that the man running for president and has a very good possibility of being elected does so much to make people question whether he even likes America. He goes to Germany and instead of praising America he is critical of America, talking about all of her supposed problems.

Now back to Kobe Bryant, he cynic in me says he only said those things because he is trying to build up his public image both in American's eyes and Chinese eyes so that he will get bigger endorsement deals and make more money; but if that is true then how twisted is our society that we want our athletes to love our country and we want our politicians to hate our country. I can't be sure if Kobe was sincere or not when he expressed his love for our country but after watching the interview I was convinced and I certainly want to be optimistic about at least some things. Bryant certainly has issues and I don't always cheer for him (especially when he is playing the Jazz) but I don't like to have bitter feelings towards anyone and I have definitely found more to cheer Kobe for. GO USA!!!

8 comments:

The Mrs. said...

I agree. Totally. I think you should have to have respect for The USA in order to run for President.


Go USA!

Tia said...

Dittos for me.

Dad in Chile said...

It has been great to sort of being out of the loop during this presidential season although I do get my updates from time to time. I'm hoping for Romney as VP to McCain. We also haven't been able to see any live olympics reruns on the internet due to the area restrictions that we don't understand.

Cameron said...

Interesting comparison. Usually our pro athletes are critized since they are an easy target. But now we have an athlete that is giving a better example of being proud of the country than a politician. We were watching olympic fencing, and one of my sons asked who I was rooting for. I said I was rooting for the American. In the olympics we always root for the USA because it is our country. That is the great appeal of the olympics; even though we may not relate at all to specific competitions, if an American is competing we're connected. The American is representing our country and we are cheering for him or her to do the best possible. Go USA!

Natalie in Sparks said...

I have no response to that... But would you like to hear a poem?

"Long ago the delicate tangles of his hair covered the emptiness of my hands."

would you like to hear it again?

(joe vs.volcano)

carrie said...

I thought that the whole thing about Barack not putting his hand to his heart was bogus; that the photographer shot the photo just before the anthem began and he had not yet put his hand up, but the other(s) in the photo had, anticipating the start of the anthem.
Not that I'm defending Obama, or his feelings for our country. I just like to have my facts straight.
Nevertheless, I hope that McCain wins, Romney is the VP and McCain gets really sick and Romney has to take over.

I'd like to hear your poem again Natalie.

Jamon said...

That is good to know Carrie about the anthem not starting yet, but that was not the only thing I have based my "Obama is not patriotic" opinion on. But I do appreciate the correction.

The Mrs. said...

too bad Romney already announced that he is NOT VP.