Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Temple in Rome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so happy right now, I almost hesitate to write about this because I don't think I'll adequately describe my feelings. I can tell you that when the announcement was made I raised my arms up in joy, everyone in the room looked at me (because I predicted they would announce a Rome temple) and I was speechless, one of the few times in my life that I've been speechless. And I would be lying if I said my eyes stayed dry.

Rome has a very rich history (just call me Captain Obvious) and was the center of the Western world for over a thousand years when you consider the reign of the Caesars and the Popes. Italy was the center of the Renaissance and was therefore instrumental in coming out of the dark ages. It is home to some of the great artists, musicians, and thinkers of the past two millennia. And yet Italy has a brighter future than past. There are a number of prophecies made by modern prophets about Italy and its place in the church. Lorenzo Snow dedicated the land for the preaching of the Gospel and after WWII Ezra Taft Benson rededicated the land for the preaching of the Gospel and in both prayers marvelous blessings were promised.

I would like to inform everyone about the very first Italian and most likely Roman Catholic convert. His name was Giuseppe Taranto and he was born in Cagliari, Sardegna (I've been there) and moved to Sicily when he was young. His family was very poor and so he left home to become a sailor in order to provide better for his family (he wasn't married). He came to America and decided to start a business in Boston providing fresh produce to merchant ships in the harbor, sort of like a boat to boat produce salesman. He was very succesful at this and was able to save a substantial amount of money. He met missionaries and accepted the Gospel but didn't join the saints in Nauvoo but stayed in Boston. Oh and before he accepted the Gospel he had a dream one night in which he was told to give his gold to the prophet, Brigham. After the martydom and an accident in the harbor when he almost lost his life (he never learned to swim) he decided to join the saints in Nauvoo. At this time the Church was very strapped for cash and was having a very hard time coming up with the financial means to continue building the temple. Brigham Young called a meeting and announced that they would have to cease work on the temple unless the Church could come up with more money. This was the same day that Giuseppe Taranto arrived in Nauvoo; upon hearing that announcement he then understood his dream he had years ago and saught an audience with Brigham Young during which he gave the Church his life savings of about $6000 in gold. These funds were enough to keep the Church going and able to finish the temple which allowed so many of the saints to receive their endowments.

And now more than a hundred and fifty years later Italy will be getting a temple.

There is more I would like to write but I need to get this posted.

5 comments:

Tia said...

I'm been looking for this blog for the past week. Thanks for posting those things about Italy. Wow, a temple in Rome, Italy.

The Mrs. said...

It is awesome isn't it?!! I like that you used the word, speechless. The kids and I really liked reading the story about Giuseppe.

Tyson and Marie said...

Hey Jamon! I just got your comment on my blog. Congratulations! That is so awesome that you are getting married. Being married is the most wonderful thing ever! I really am so happy for you. Good luck with all the plans!

The Peanut. said...

hey engaged man!!!

I too just got your comment on my blog. Yay for getting married. I'm so excited for you. PS can i just tell you that I cried my eyes out when i heard the announcement for a temple in Rome? Ppl just don't understand why that is a cool thing! I do...well you do more but still...

anyway, don't be a stranger! I'm going to add you to my list of blogies. Ciao.

Natalie in Sparks said...

Hey, when they announced the 5 new temples and the last was Rome Italy, I was amazed, and I thought of you right away. I thought, "I bet Jamon is so excited!"
Did you hear people laughing in the audience in response? (but Pres. Monson sure didn't). I am sure everyone is amazed because it is in the capital of Catholicism, and yet, the Lord will further his plan, even in the midst of adversity. Thanks for the history too, that is a neat story about that early Italian saint.