Monday, November 3, 2008

Election Day

I have been thinking about politics and the future of America a lot recently, as I'm sure a lot of people have been. I thought I would write down a few of my thoughts before elections are finalized.

First off I want to say that I really don't want an Obama presidency; I do not hate everything about him but there is a lot of his views that I totally disagree with. I do have to admit that there are some things that are admirable about him, first and foremost is he seems to be a genuine family man. He cares about his wife, daughters, mother, and grandmother (who just passed away today, which is unfortunate that she passed away at an already stressful time for Obama). It is true, however, that he has a half brother living in poverty in Kenya although admittedly I don't know all details about that.

Another thing that is admirable about Obama is his ability to get young people excited about politics. I have seen a couple interesting youth groups singing songs and praising Obama, one was a steppin routine done based on exerpts from some of Obama's speeches with the teenagers starting out by chanting "Alpha and Omega" over and over, that I found a bit disturbing. I have read a lot of criticism comparing these youth groups to Hitler's youth groups in Nazi Germany. That is a bit unfair though because even those youth groups were based on community service and serving the public good, they were all just so completely deceived about their leader's intentions.

Then I have to ask the question, what are Obama's motives? I don't know but there are a number of disturbing patterns about his life and associations. He has repeatedly associated himself with the extremists of society, including domestic terrorists, Palestinian terrorist sympathizers, and racist religious leaders. It may be true that these men are not involved in his administration but I see these as signs to what his personal views are, and with a man so inexperienced we have very little to judge him with so why not use all the information we can gather. I am very concerned about what will happen to this country if Barack Obama is elected the next president and with the most recent Fox News poll showing Obama with 50% and McCain with only 43% it is looking more and more likely that Obama will win.

But I must remind myself not to fall into the liberal mentality of the past 8 years where bad news for America was good news for liberals because they could pass the blame onto the Bush administration. (This very well could have been the mentality of conservatives during the Clinton years but I don't remember and I certainly hope it wasn't). I will not become an America hater just because I don't agree with the current administration. I will still pray for my elected officials that they will be able to make good decisions for the great country and that we can stay protected from our enemies and that the wars we are involved in can end as soon as possible with the best possible results for us.

God Bless the USA

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Allow me to reference an earlier comment on your blog post about "Cheating at the Olympics". Do you have the day off today, or does your employee handbook specify personal breaks for blogging? Maybe instead of worrying about an Obama administration or “praying for your elected officials” etc. etc., you should be praying for your own wellbeing and your ability to provide for you new family when this blog is anonymously emailed to your employer. There is quite a string of evidence piled up here… But hey, thanks for keeping us updated.

Elise said...

Good post, Jamon. And was that last commenter serious?

Tia said...

Thanks for the blog. Well written.

also, I love the picture of you and Staci. It is a great addition to your blog.

Natalie in Sparks said...

I like your insights; trying to be open minded, yet opinionated. I too am nervous of Obama's intentions of leadership. I think when he says its "time for a change" I think he really means some big, radical changes. Alot of Americans think its all a good idea to have change because of the way some things are with the economy and some social problems. What they don't realize is that there are multiple reasons for our problems, and I don't think Obama can change things for good, I think, although he has good intentions (I am convinced that he truly believes in his cause) it is not for the good of our country, and our freedom. As we give more and more power to the government we surrender our freedom. We are trading liberty for security. This trade off may seem harmless, until one day when we find that many of our rights are gone because of the "safety and security" of socialized programs and prohibitive laws. The results of this election may be the beginning of "Obamanation" as some people have called it.

Jamon said...

Wow, presmonson52 has some serious issues. First of all, who in the world has the nerve to have their ID be the name of the prophet. Talk about one pious person. Second, what a huge hypocrite that person is to criticize me for blogging during the workday when the comment was posted during the workday as well; someone apparently has a guilty conscious. And the last thing I'll say about this absurd comment is thanks for pointing out a possibility for someone to harass me for no apparent reason because although I do keep up with my work, so in honor of presmonson52 I have removed the time stamp for all of my posts. phew, that was a close one.
What a joke.

Unknown said...

Jamon,

My name is Jason Heifweizen. I have quietly followed your blog for some time now and have enjoyed your insight into politics, human nature, etc. But it seems to me that this presmonson dude has you rattled. You've always seemed so confident in your stance before, and that's why I don't understand your reply to him. It almost seems like "nervous jabs" rather than a strong retort (plus the fact that you turned off your post times, like you really have anything to hide). In any case, keep up the good work. -Jas

Unknown said...

Hi Jamon. Love ya! Wish you would marry me instead of that other girl.

Unknown said...

Oh, and also... why did you remove your posting times? It just makes you look like, you know, you totally have something to hide. That's like, lame! I was totally with you on your ethics at the olympics thing, but if your not doing anything wrong here, why would you try and hide it? It just kinda looks bad. You know, like when I'm walking home from work, and it's cold... I have to wear my fur coat and I'm still in my heals because I forgot my walking shoes. I have to be careful of which corner I stand on to wait for the bus, because if I stand on the wrong corner, it looks bad. You know?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the reply. It was perfect (at 10:25 am) he he he...

Jamon said...

Wow, I am honestly very shocked at the most recent postings. I had no idea people I didn't know would bother reading what I had to write. I now need to reevaluate my view of this blog, the nature of the posts will not change but I certainly need to give more serious consideration to other things said. And Jason, not that you have to believe me but I did consider deleting my comment after I posted it, too much of a crank letter feel for me. I'll leave it up now to remind me of my shortcomings.