Sunday, January 4, 2009

It's been a while

Because it has been such a long time since I last posted a blog I am going to have a very random compilation of thoughts, not the masterpiece that I usually post.

First on my mind was something that I saw on TV, Ben Stein was being interviewed about the upcoming Obama presidency and he said "Now that he (Obama) is elected I hope he's the best president we have ever had." He has a very good perspective on how we should view our political leaders. These past four years have been lined with how critical so many people have been of President Bush, so many people have been so quick to point out that he has one of the lowest approval ratings in history (yet they gloss over the fact that Congress has an ever lower approval rating). Because of this animosity towards a Republican president many republicans have mentioned how they are looking forward to opposing Obama to show the same animosity towards him as a sort of payback. I admit that I have had similar thoughts, looking with an almost longing to see the country turn to pot, figuratively of course, and then in four years we would be able to say that it was the biggest mistake to elect Barack Obama. But after further consideration, and hearing what Ben Stein said, I've come to realize that it is foolish, selfish, and prideful to hope for a bad presidency just to see someone fail who doesn't have the same political persuasions as you. So this is my official declaration that I support Barack Obama for the presidency so far as him helping improve the country, strengthening the economy through sound principles, strengthening the family through good social principles but more importantly through his example of how he treats his family, and keeping our country safe from terrorists, oh and of course through all of this I expect him to uphold the constitution and support our inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Instead of keeping this in cue for who knows how long I will post it now although I was originally planning on writing a lot more. Actually I want to get a couple things off my chest.

Why is it that Roland Burris is so adamant about becoming instated as the fill-in Senator for Obama's seat as soon as possible. Does he not understand why everyone is so concerned about making him a senator when he was named by Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich right after he was accused by the FBI of corruption by trying to sale the senate seat to the highest bidder? True Burris has not been implicated with any involvement in the scandal but why not slow down and allow the Democratic Congressional leadership become more comfortable over the appointment. Is he worried that no one else will see him as a good pick, from all I've seen on him, and admittedly it's not much, he is an adequate choice. Just calm down and let Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi get more comfortable. And what's with Caroline Kennedy being seen as a great pick to fill Hilary Clinton's seat, all I've heard about her is she has tried to stay out of politics as much as possible, and that makes her a good choice to become senator, why, because her last name is Kennedy? That's ridiculous.

4 comments:

carrie @ the boonie life said...

Great post Jamon. I heard Glenn Beck say just after Obama won the election how he supports Obama now because that is our duty as American citizens, to support our President. I think that is wise.
Good call.

Natalie in Sparks said...

Wow, deep thoughts...or could it be that I am just not following politics very much lately. I do hope that Obama will do well. I don't envy the burden of his position. Also, many Americans seem positive about him in office, so maybe just the optimism will be contagious enough to solve some of our problems. (you never know)
I have always felt throughout the election that he is truly commited to his cause, and that he is convinced that his ideas are for the best of the people.

Elise said...

So, what exactly does "support" mean (in terms of supporting Obama because he is our President)?

Does it mean I can't criticize his decisions I don't agree with?

Jamon said...

When I say support I mean I will not prejudge his decisions and policies based solely on the fact that it is Obama making them. As Elise has pointed out, it doesn't mean I cannot criticize his decisions if I don't think they are right. What I will not do, as mentioned in the original post, is assume anything bad in the country is his fault and anything good in the country must be because of other factors. By "support" I mean "I will have an open mind".