Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Government and girls

I am now officially a resident of Utah, after living here for six years I decided I should finally get my license and register to vote here in Utah. After going through the DMV experience I couldn't help but think of something a congresswoman from California said the other day in regards to high oil and gas prices. She suggested that if the oil companies don't get a control on rising fuel prices that the government should socialize the oil industry, because that would fix everything. If anyone ever thinks that the government can do things more efficiently than the free market he/she only needs to visit the post office or the DMV.

Handing over the oil companies to the government would be like commissioning Bill Belichick to manage the ethical behavior in the NFL. Actually that's not a fair example, Coach Belichick would do a much better job than the government in his respective analogous duties. Just as my cousins here in Orem have reminded me, the government spends most of it's time fixing the problems that they created.

I'm not anti government always; but I am a bit annoyed at all the problems in this country that aren't being fixed by neither the Dems nor the Reps.

During dinner tonight at Brickoven Pizza we debated about the meaning of different types hugs after dates. My opinion is if a girl pats my back during a hug (or vice versus) she is telling me she's not interested in pursuing anything serious. The "pat" is a friendly motion whereas the "hold then release" hug means there could be something more.

6 comments:

carrie said...

I like the comment on the hug. Very funny...because it is very true. What kind have you been getting lately? Cool header picture (get it?). I know where you are, by the way, but I don't want to ruin it for everyone else.

Natalie in Sparks said...

nice blog and cool picture at the arlington cemetary. (am I right?)
you are absolutely right about the hugs. I remember giving those friendly pats to guys that I saw no future relationship with. It's like "pat, pat, you are a nice FRIEND!"

Jamon said...

actually it is not the arlington cemetary, correct area of the country though. i'm glad you two agree on the hugs, it would be unfortunate if i had been misinterpreting hugs all my dating life. carrie, i've been getting some good "hold then release" hugs recently. ;-)

The Mrs. said...

Hey Jamon, i thought since both of my sisters-in-law gave you their input I might put mine in too. I haven't hugged another guy for awhile, until Thursday night, and when Darons police friends were leaving they gave me a hug goodbye and I was actually thinking "this feels funny to be giving pat pat hugs again". So, its ironic that you bring it up. Good blog by the way. I like having the time to sit down and read your ramblings.

Tia said...

wow, i didn´t realize that there was different types of hugs given during dating.( pat, no pat, hold release, etc.)
the location of the picture - gettysburg, PA.

Jamon said...

no sorry mom, the picture was taken at the Antietam Creek Cemetery, Carrie is that what you were thinking?