Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 3

Today was another good day, we woke up at a reasonable time of about 8’oclock. I had a couple funny dreams last night; in one I was batman, always fun, in another I woke up to find a bucket of mealworms in the motel room and also a couple boxes of mice and rats that were all getting out. Then in my dream I woke up and realized I needed to check on all my pets, snakes and lizard and so I went home to make sure they were all doing OK, then I really woke up. Staci pointed out that I must be missing my pets; I suppose that’s possible but not certain.

We first went to Providence, Rhode Island and we stopped at the Roger Williams memorial. I found out that he was the founder of Rhode Island. He was the one who acquired the charter from England to start his own colony. I find it very curious so much of American history is centered around religious persecution. The pilgrims left England on the Mayflower to practice their Puritan beliefs; Roger Williams left Massachusetts to escape religious persecution from the Puritans. I sure others left as well to form various colonies. And of course so many of these colonies/turned states played a part in the persecution of the Latter-day Saints and caused them to flee to the West. It seems people quickly forget how their people once were treated. Too often in life do the persecuted become the persecutors. I really think that we as Latter-day Saints need to pay heed not to do anything that would lead others to believe we feel superior to any religion. A couple religions that I think are being unfairly criticized are Scientology, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and Muslims (and yes, I do think there is a difference between mainstream Muslims and radical Islam.) We should make sure we don’t criticize others for their curious beliefs; Latter-day Saints should be the last ones to do that for more than one reason.

OK, I’m off my soapbox now, but no promises that I won’t get back on. We also took a walk around the capital building in Providence, we figured we should get a picture there seeing how that really the only reason we came to Rhode Island is because it’s a state. I also went into a church and played a couple hymns on the piano.

We then headed over to Connecticut and of course the first place we went to was the state capitol. Well actually we were headed for the capital and took to detours after we parked. There is a 94 year old carrousel that we rode on for $1.00. And also we stopped at a Civil War memorial, the first national monument that wasn’t an obelisk (like the Washington Memorial). It was built to honor the union soldiers who died at Antietam Creek. I found that especially neat seeing how I went there last year.

The state capitol building was amazing. It is very cathedral like complete with stained glass windows.

We then went to the Travelers Insurance Tower, have you guys seen the commercials with the guy and the huge umbrella that he uses to help a bunch of people? We went to the top of the tower and had a very nice view of Hartford, CT.

Another thing I love about New England is all of the old buildings everywhere, as we were walking over to the Traveler's Tower I saw this building and thought it looked picture worthy, what is it exactly? I have no idea but that adds to my point that there are things everywhere to see, if you put that building in Idaho it would be a huge state attraction but sitting here in New England it doesn't even get a second glance. (luckily I took the picture on the first glance)

We then headed towards Coventry, CT to see the home of Nathan Hale. He was the man commissioned as a spy for George Washington who was caught and hung by the British in New York. His dying words were “I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country.” I didn’t realize this but that is a quote from a Shakespeare play that was fairly well known at the time. Unfortunately the place was closed today so we just took a couple pictures on the outside. It was a very relaxing place to visit nonetheless. It was nice to get out in the countryside and explore a bit.

We then headed back to Boston and are currently chilling back at Kristy’s place watching the Olympic swimming trials.

2 comments:

Natalie in Sparks said...

hey Jamon,
i just got the chance to see your blog in a while and i love all your entries about your trip! Not just what you did, but the quotes, scriptures, comments and deep thoughts too. I think you are a great writer and very captivating. cool pictures too. I am intrigued by historical places and love learning while I travel.

Jamon said...

thanks natalie, that really means a lot