Thursday, July 3, 2008

Day 2

Today was a really fun day, although it was potentially really annoying. We slept in a little bit, I couldn’t help but sleep nine hours to make up for not getting any sleep the night before. It’s not as much as Jed slept though, he was out for about 13 hours, lazy boy. Staci managed to get her beauty sleep in just eight hours, but she did sleep the night before on the plane.

Kristy’s generosity has continued to make this trip wonderful, her latest favor is she let us borrow her car for a couple days. We left Boston this morning to visit Cape Cod. I must admit, driving in Boston has brought back a lot of memories about driving in Italy. The roads are much narrower here and also the rules for driving are much the same, which is another way of saying, there really are no rules. I like it much better this way, people are much more attentive and logical when they drive.

We made a short stop at Plymouth, MA where the Mayflower landed. We decided not to pay the $10 to go inside and check out the ship, maybe we would have if we could climb up into the bird’s nest or walk the plank, but just looking around would have been boring.J

Our next stop was Race Point Beach at the tip of Cape Cod, MA. This beach was a ton of fun, the water was a bit cold but I had recently been to Lake Tahoe so I had already been habituated to the cold water. Jed decided it was too cold so he didn’t go in and Staci wouldn’t go in because she just washed her hair (I don’t understand but maybe my sister-in-laws can explain it to me). She actually went in most of the way, just not past her neck.

When we were taking a walk on the beach Staci noticed large splashes in the water, as I was going in to figure out what they were from we saw the head of a seal pop out of the water. It was then that we realized the seal had round up a bunch of fish and was hunting them. They were jumping out of the water to try and get away from the seal. Some of these fish were huge, I was able to get close enough to get a good view of them as they would splash around and as far as I could tell they were around four feet long, small for the ocean but large fish from what I’m used to. It was a bit unnerving to be that close to a seal while he is eating, I was probably 50 feet away when it popped its head out of the water and it very well could have been much closer, and I think I saw some of the fish swim past me. Either way it was definitely the highlight of the beach trip. I just wish I had my snorkeling equipment.

Here is a pic of the seal, you can barely see its head out of the water, we later found out that this is a fairly common siting, but it was exciting for us.

We then went to Provincetown and if I had to describe that place with one word it would be “gay”. Why you may ask, simply because there were loads and loads of gay people. Apparently, it is a favorite vacation place for sexual orientation challenged people. There must have been a 4-1 guy girl ratio. And all the guys were walking around in short shorts and no shirts. Well, most of the guys, there were some fathers there with their families, and me and Jed of course. Staci kept trying to get a picture of us on the beach we wouldn’t have any of that, not in Provincetown.

We ate at a restaurant on the beach and I had some really good seafood. I must admit though, although it was great food I can’t stuff myself with seafood the way I can with other kinds of food, my body gets tired of it after a normal sized meal. What I mean to say is it’s great but I can’t eat too much.

After dinner we went shopping for a couple souvenirs, Cape Cod stuff not Provincetown stuff of course.

Then we drove on to Rhode Island and found a motel to get ready for tomorrow.

I love being around all of this history. Everywhere I look there are more things that remind of things I learned in my American history class. Today we saw signs for the Roger Williams landmark. Does anyone remember who he is? See I don’t even really remember exactly who he is, he founded Rhode Island or something, but it is still cool to see all this stuff.

5 comments:

The Mrs. said...

hey Jamon- I look forward to reading about what you did daily...Im waiting for the update on what you did on the 4th! anywho-about Staci and just washing her hair and not going in the beach: It is not healthy for girls to blow dry their hair everyday. And most girls, with the exception of Carrie, have to blow dry their hair so that it doesn't dry all funny, and then we use a straightener to finish off the look. If she just did all that that morning, then she would have to go through that process again the next day(usually I dry my hair every other day) and then not only is it alot of work, but not healthy either. Those are my thoughts. Jme

Tia said...

I hope you are writing down all the sights you have gone to. Write a travel log so when dad and i get off our mission we can go back east and check out all the historical sites in New England.

Staci said...

Jamie, thanks for the hair washing explanation. It really isn't in me to act so girly, but more than the healthy thing its the process. I hate it! It was a good thing I didn't get in the water, because there was no shampoo at the dump hotel we were at and I didn't bring any with me. So thanks for helping Jamon understand the hassel's of being a girl with hair.

Natalie in Sparks said...

Jamon,
The hair thing is very obvious (to any girl that is) Let me try to relate it to a guy thing; its like spending the time washing, waxing, polishing and drying your car just to take it through some huge muddy field 5 minutes later with the windows open. Now is it making more sense?...
Its ok if you don't get it,I still don't see the fun in pushing boulders off of cliffs ;)

Jamon said...

ah, thanks nat, your analogy does help me understand much better. and pushing rocks off cliffs is so much fun because.... well it just is. :)